I learned what was and how to make Medfouna, the Beber-Style Pizza, reading the awesome book “Make it Moroccan” from Hassan M’Souli. The Book has some beautiful recipes and stunning photos and I have made lots of recipes from it.
I will not pretend here I am super smart – before reading the book I not even knew what Berber was and later I found out that it is an important tribe from North Africa. One Viva to Wikipedia!!! If you, like me, had no idea about it, check this link to read more and tell their pretty interesting story when you serve this recipe to your family.
The only thing I kept from the original recipe here is the bread and the way to assemble – I am quite sure the Berbers have never used Ricotta to fill their Medfouna 🙂
Is not that I don’t like the original, on the contrary: the Medfouna filled with beef marinated on Charmoula and boiled eggs is actually much better (Again my honesty) but this is one of my Meatless Monday options. I promise one of these days I will be posting the original recipe.
Quoting M ‘Souli, the Bebers “would light a fire in the desert then extinguish the flame and bury the filled dough in the hot sand to cook… for this recipe we will be realistic and use an oven” (and Ricotta ;-)).
Serve with some nice Mint tea.
For the Dough
- 2 Teaspoons active dried yeast
- 175ml Lukewarm water
- 250g Bread flour
- 1 Teaspoon caraway seeds plus some to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk for the egg wash
- 1 teaspoon of coffee for the egg wash
For the Filling
- 350g Fresh Ricotta crushed
- 1 Cup Sliced Paris Mushrooms
- 1 Large Tomatoe diced
- 1 Bunch Silver-beet, just the leaves, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Two Tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt to Taste
For the Dough
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the water
- Combine the bread flour, the caraway seeds and the salt in a large bowl
- Stir the yeast mixture.
- Mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 30min or until doubled in size,
For the Filling
- Heat the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium heat
- Stir in the Garlic and fry it until it is golden
- Add the Silver-beet, the Mushrooms and cook it until they wilt
- Stir in the Tomato and cook for a couple of minutes
- Add the Fresh Ricotta and mix well cooking for a couple of minutes until all blended
- Add the lemon zest, the black pepper and salt to taste,
Assembling and Baking
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Split the dough in two
- Roll one half of the dough to the size of a large plate
- Roll the other half of the dough about one centimeter larger
- Put the larger disk of dough in a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Spread the filling on he top of the disk leaving about one cm without the filling
- Put the second disk on the top of the filling
- Brush water on the borders and close the two pieces with the border without filling
- Whisk the egg yolk with the teaspoon of coffee
- Brush the mixture of egg and coffee all over the bread
- Sprinkle Caraway seeds
- Bake for 20-30 min until golden