Here is a contribution from my friend Antje – photo and recipe.
Antje, that is from Germany, is an awesome cook in a mission to feed (and well) her big family. She has four little ones including the most gorgeous and well behaved toddler I met, Georgina 🙂
The recipe was inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe from Naked Chef that she “merged” with a Semifredo recipe found on Internet.
The Result is absolutely stunning don’t you think?
- 100g dark chocolate
- 200g sugar
- 150g almonds (slivers)
- 500g cream
- 4 large eggs
- 60g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and pour on a lined baking tray. Spread out in roughly the same shape as your intended container. Should make 3 sheets for a large loaf tin. Chill.
- Bubble the sugar with 2tbs water until golden, mix in nuts and spread onto line baking tray. Chill. When set, break into pieces and pulse in a food processor to desired size.
- Separate eggs. Beat egg whites into stiff peaks, cream into soft peaks.
- Whip egg yolks with the sugar until light and frothy.
- Fold in cream, vanilla, then egg whites.
- Now you can mix in all of the praline or reserve some of the praline for decoration and mix the remainder into 1/3 of the semifredo mixture.
- To assemble, line a container (loaf tin) with cling film. Spread some larger pieces of the praline on the bottom.
- Top with a sheet of chocolate.
- Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over, add another layer of chocolate. Repeat, finishing with the praline and cream mixture.
- Cover with cling film and freeze at least 2 hours.
- To serve, turn out onto a plate or board, remove cling film and cut with a knife dipped in hot water.