Creme Brulee or how I like calling it Creme Catalana (its Spanish name) is nothing more than a bit of custard baked and covered with some crispy caramel.
In my opinion, it is a bit old fashioned and boring, that’s why I like to play around with the flavors.
Here we are flavoring the custard with Saffron and Orange Blossom water – my favorite Creme Brulee combination. The quantity of Saffron and Orange Blossom water might not seem a lot but these are big flavors and a little bit will take you a long way – you can adjust the recipe to your liking though and even experiment with other spices.
Another winning combination is a pinch of Saffron + 1/4 Teaspoon Rose Water + 1 Stalk Lemon
Grass. Follow exactly the same recipe just change the spices and before baking the custard “fish out” the Lemon Grass from the custard. I also love it with 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamom (only the seeds finely crushed) – again, follow the same recipe and replace the Saffron and Orange Blossom water by the Cardamon.
If you don’t have a blowtorch you can make it under the oven grill but the results are now exactly the same as you will need to put them back in the fridge to set. It worth investing in a good blowtorch.
And you, what is your favorite Creme Brulee Flavor?
Things to do with the leftover whites:
- 500ml Fresh Cream
- 80g Sugar plus some to the caramel (about one heaped teaspoon per ramekin)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange Blossom Water
- Heat the Cream with the Saffron and the orange blossom water over medium heat until it just starts to boil.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for an hour so the flavors will infuse
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale
- Stir in the flavored cream and mix well
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C (300F)
- Divide the cream between 6 3.5cm ramekins
- Put the ramekins on a tray and fill the tray with boiling water up to 2/3 of the ramekins
- Put the tray in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 min, until the custard is just set and is still a bit wobbly in the center.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool to room temperature then put it in the fridge to set overnight
To serve sprinkle about one teaspoon of caster sugar evenly over the surface of each creme brulee, making sure it is all covered in sugar.
- Caramelize the sugar with a blowtorch
- Set aside for a couple of minutes before serving so the sugar can go crispy.