Yemista (read here “G”emista) is a Greek dish and consists basically on roasted stuffed vegetables. Pretty Summery, It is usually made with capsicum or tomatoes that lend it a beautiful vibrant colour.
I’ve found it filled with all sorts of filling such as rice, mince or vegetables but muy version of Yesmista is filled with some pretty Greek ingredients: Orzo and Lamb. Orzo is a kind of short Pasta shaped like a grain of rice that you can find at the Italian Pasta supermarket aisle as Risoni.
My husband really loves this filling so I used it with lots of different vegetables such as Tomatoes and Zucchini but Capsicum is by far my favorite as when roasted its juices combine perfectly with the flavors of the filling.
Simply awesome for a very satisfying middle week casual dinner!
- 1 Sliced Onion
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 500g minced lamb
- ¾ cups Orzo (Risoni)
- ½ cup roasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 500ml good quality salt reduced chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 6 Medium Red Capsicums (Red Bell Pepper)
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt to Taste
- Cook the Orzo using package directions but stopping half of the cooking time.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion until it begins to brown
- Stir in the lamb and fry until meat loses its redness.
- Add the Oregano, pepper and cinnamon.
- Stir for some minutes until the meat is browned.
- Add the cooked Orzo and the pine nuts, stir well.
- Add the chicken stock and leave it cooking until it has been reduced enough leaving almost no liquid just a very moist mixture of mince and pasta.
- Add salt to your taste.
- Cut the top of the Capsicums,set them aside
- Carefully remove the seeds keeping the shape of the Capsicum intact
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Fill each one of the Capsicum with the mixture of lamb and Orzo
- Top the Capsicum with Parmesan
- Line a baking tray with foil, put the Capsicum and their tops in the tray – don’t put the top of the capsicum back while it is baking, bake them separately but in the same tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until Capsicum is roasted but still firm and cheese is golden.
- Close each capsicum with one of the roasted capsicum tops and serve