It’s is perfect for an informal dinner or a nibble for footy nights. Just put in the center of the table to share with some tortilla chips and don’t forget the Corona!
TIP: Puree the Chipotle and adobo in a blender and freeze. Whenever you need some you can simply take it out of the freezer and slice as much as you need of the frozen puree.
Author: adapted from the Magazine Gourmet Holiday Special Edition – Fall/Winter 2012
Rate the Recipe:
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 6 bacon slices chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotles in adobo
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons water
- 350g Pork Mince
- 250g Veal Mince
Mango Pomegranate Guacamole Ingredients
- 2 Ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup finely red onion
- 1 fresh red chilli seeded and very finely chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds plus some to Garnish
- 1/4 cup diced peeled mango (about .5cm)
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander plus some to Garnish
- Cumin powder and salt to taste
- In a large bowl mix the milk and the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until it starts crisping up. Stir in the garlic, onions, cumin, oregano and chipotles. Fry until bacon is crispy and onions are starting to caramelize.
- Add the water to the skillet, stirring and scraping the brown bits from the skillet.
- When the water is evaporated, turn off the fire and leave it a bit to cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix the meats, the egg, the parsley and breadcrumbs mixture.
- Add the Bacon fried with the spices to the bowl with the meat and mix well with your hands. It will be a quite moist and soft mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Line a large tray with lightly greased foil.
- Make balls and arrange them in the skewer arrange them in the prepared tray. You can grease your hands with a bit of oil to make it easier.
- Repeat the process until you finish the meat mixture
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Roughly mash the avocados with a fork
- Put the mashed avocado it in a bowl and stir in all other ingredients.
- Garnish with Coriander, Pomegranate seeds and Mango.
Serve the Meat Balls with the Guacamole aside and Tortilla Chips