Here is a Pretty easy recipe for Meatless Monday or as a nice side dish. I grew up on it, my mother used to make it at least once a week to my very fussy eater dad and I added just a few more spices to extra taste.
Don’t use canned beans, it’s just not the same and they are way too soft.
Dried beans can take a while to cook and the younger the grain the less it takes to cook – it varies quite a bit so you will have to keep an eye on it after 20min of cooking to make sure it won’t overcook.
If you have a pressure cooker you don’t even need to leave it soaking – 15 min counting when the pressure started and you are done.
As any very simple recipe, the quality of the ingredients will make a huge difference in the final result, make sure everything is fresh and that you have a good quality olive oil.
- 1 Cup Black Eyed Bean (raw)
- 1 Small Onion finely sliced
- 1/2 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper) cubed
- 1 Tomato seeded and cubed
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Chopped
- 1/8 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt or to Taste
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Soak the beans in water for about 8 hours (overnight)
- Drain the beans and rinse it well a couple of times
- Put the Beans in a pan and cover with about three fingers of water on the top of the bean level
- Bring it to boil over high heat, reduce the heat and let it cook for about 30-40 until the beans are cooked but still firm and holding the shape
- Drain the beans and put them in a large bowl
- Stir in all other ingredients while the beans are still hot.
- Mix well with a spoon to make sure all beans are covered with the spices
- Serve it at room temperature or cold